American Pit Bull Terriers are strong-willed, courageous, yet affectionate canines that want nothing more than to please their owner.
Because you share the same love for your pet as it does for you, it makes sense to want to provide it with the best dog house to keep it safe and comfortable.
The best dog houses for American Pit Bull Terriers should have ample space, durable construction, optimal comfort, and be of a reasonable cost.
The best dog house for an American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House.
This dog house provides a spacious interior, durable weatherproof construction, and comes at a reasonable price.
It suits APBTs up to 32 inches long and 29 inches tall, weighing up to 45 pounds.
There are a few instances when we would recommend alternatives to the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House.
Those instances include the following:
- You need something less costly. In that case, opt for the Starplast Large Dog Kennel.
- You’re looking for an outdoor dog house. Pick the PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House.
- You want a stylish indoor dog house. Go for the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table.
In this article, we’ll walk you through several things to consider when shopping for a dog house for your American Pit Bull Terrier.
We’ll cover how these dog houses perform based on size, durability, comfort, and cost, and explain why the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House is the best choice for most American Pit Bull Terrier owners.
Finally, we’ll offer three alternatives based on certain circumstances.
Factors to Consider
When in the market for a dog house suitable for an American Pit Bull Terrier, there are four factors to consider.
Those factors include:
Let’s look at each of these considerations more in-depth.
Size of Dog House
|Dog House||Dimensions (in inches)||Score|
|TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House||30 x 35 x 32||8/10|
|Starplast Large Dog Kennel||34 x 33 x 32||8/10|
|PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House||34 x 32 x 33||9/10|
|unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table||32 x 24 x 26||7/10|
Winner: PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House
The American Pit Bull Terrier varies in size, but the United Kennel Club and American Dog Breeders Association consider it a medium-sized canine.
Male APBTs range from 18 to 21 inches (46 to 53 cm) in both height and length and weigh between 35 and 60 pounds (16 to 27 kg).
Females average 20 to 23 inches (43 to 58 cm) long, stand between 17 and 20 inches (43 to 51 cm) tall, and average around 30 to 50 pounds (14 to 23 kg).
What Size Dog House Do You Need for an APBT?
Dog houses for American Pit Bull Terriers should be at least 3 inches taller than the dog’s height and 3 inches deeper than its width.
To fit the average APBT, it should be at least 20 to 24 inches tall and be 20 to 21 inches in depth, able to support up to 60 pounds, depending on the APBT’s weight.
Of course, to determine the exact dimensions suitable for your American Pit Bull Terrier, you’ll need to first accurately measure your canine.
Below is a table featuring different combinations of possible APBT heights and lengths, along with the minimum recommended dog house sizes based on those measurements.
In addition to the above height and depth requirements, ensure the dog house supports your dog’s exact weight or above.
|Pit Bull Terrier Size||Minimum Dog House Height||Minimum Dog House Depth|
|Height: 17 inches; Length: 18 inches||20 inches||21 inches|
|Height: 18 inches; Length: 19 inches||21 inches||22 inches|
|Height: 19 inches; Length: 20 inches||22 inches||23 inches|
|Height: 20 inches; Length: 21 inches||23 inches||24 inches|
|Height: 21 inches; Length: 21 inches||24 inches||25 inches|
Use the table as a general guideline — the aforementioned measurements may not be accurate to your specific American Pit Bull Terrier.
It’s essential that you measure and weigh your dog to ensure a properly fitting dog house.
American Pit Bull Terriers are incredibly strong dogs. Their strength makes them regular competitors in weight-pulling competitions.
In addition to their body strength, these courageous canines boast a bite pressure of 235-pounds per square inch.
If you have a rambunctious APBT or an aggressive chewer, invest in a dog house that can withstand your dog’s strength, whether from its fast, whip-like wagging tail or mouthy behavior.
In addition, if you intend to exclusively keep the dog house outdoors, ensure that it can hold up to the elements.
Hot, arid climates require dog houses with adequate ventilation, and areas with harsh winters or excessive precipitation need insulation and ways to prevent water from entering the shelter.
The table below looks at each dog house on this list and its materials.
We’ll rate each based on durability and strength to help you make a more informed decision on which dog house is best for your American Pit Bull Terrier.
|TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House||Solid pine wood||7/10|
|Starplast Large Dog Kennel||Plastic||6/10|
|PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House||Fir wood||7/10|
|unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table||Alloy steel||9/10|
Winner: unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table
Let’s look at each of these materials a little more closely.
Wooden Dog Houses
Weather-treated and sealed wooden dog houses make excellent shelters, but they’re not always the best choice for aggressive chewers.
You can, however, modify the dog house’s interior to prevent chewing using steel wire mesh and a staple gun.
Just ensure that the edges are filed down to prevent injury.
Plastic Dog Houses
Plastic is one of the least chew-resistant materials.
With such a strong bite force, an American Pit Bull Terrier could easily bite through most plastic or composite materials.
If you have a dog apt to chew and must have a plastic dog house, go for a smooth plastic shelter free of sharp angles, ridges, or other textures.
The smooth surface makes it challenging to bite.
It’s best to opt for plastic dog houses only for non-destructive canines.
Metal Dog Houses
Metal dog houses are the most durable types of dog houses for any canine, especially those that engage in destructive chewing behaviors.
Not only is metal uncomfortable for dogs to chew, but its durability makes it the best choice for long-term use.
Alloy steel, in particular, has a tensile strength of 758 to 1,882 megapascals (MPa).
In other words, that is the amount of force in pounds per square inch required to destroy the material.
|TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House||• Weatherproof|
• Elevated floor
• Room for extra padding
• Plastic dog door available
• Peaked roof
• Shingled roof
|Starplast Large Dog Kennel||• Weatherproof|
• Wide entrance
• Spacious interior
• Room for extra padding
|PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House||• Weatherproof|
• Elevated floor
• Spacious interior
• Room for extra padding
|unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table||• Included cushion|
• Full view
• Room for extra padding
Winner: TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House
An uncomfortable dog house is a wasted purchase if your canine avoids it altogether.
As such, choose a dog house that suits your dog’s personal preferences when it comes to comfort.
Some dogs prefer soft, plush sleeping spaces, whereas others seek out cool, hard surfaces to help expel body heat more quickly.
Figure out what your dog likes, and select a dog house that fits its needs.
When purchasing a dog house that doesn’t come with padding, ensure there’s enough space to add blankets, mats, or other cushioning if needed.
If you intend to use an outdoor dog house, opt for a model with features to keep your pet cool when it’s hot and warm when it’s cold.
Elevated floors add an additional level of comfort, as they allow for adequate air circulation to ensure that the air within the dog house doesn’t become stagnant.
It also keeps your canine off the ground, which is essential when it’s cold or wet outside. Your APBT also needs protection from the elements, so weather-proofing is essential.
Indoor dog houses, on the other hand, do not require raised flooring.
However, they should provide ventilation, room for extra padding, and allow for a full view to prevent your dog from feeling anxious.
|TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House||$$$||7/10|
|Starplast Large Dog Kennel||$$||8/10|
|PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House||$$$$||6/10|
|unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table||$$$$||6/10|
Winners: Starplast Large Dog Kennel
It’s time to face the facts — dog houses can be very expensive.
With that said, you don’t need to spend more than $300 to adequately shelter your canine and keep it comfortable.
The dog houses featured in this list are all below $300 and provide sufficient space, comfort, and durability at a reasonable cost.
Differences in price depend on several factors. Factors that drive up the cost include:
- Size – As a general rule, the bigger the dog house, the more expensive. Large dog houses require more materials to manufacture, thus increasing the price.
- Materials – When it comes to raw materials, wood typically costs less than metal. However, once used in the manufacturing process of a dog house, metal dog houses may be pricier due to their long-term durability. Plastic is one of the least expensive materials on the market — but it’s not ideal for chewers.
- Complexity – A simple cube-shaped dog house takes less time, effort, and materials to build, thus keeping the cost down. A more complex dog house, such as one that includes storage space, a hinged roof, or other features, requires more materials, including hardware.
When shopping for a dog house for your APBT, select one that meets the basic needs of your dog at the lowest possible price.
However, if money isn’t a factor, feel free to splurge on extra features for your American Pit Bull Terrier.
Best Overall: TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House
This is an excellent dog house for an American Pit Bull Terrier, and it comes at a reasonable price point.
The TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House features ample living space, suitable for American Pit Bull Terriers up to 32 inches (81 cm) in length and 29 inches (74 cm) in height, weighing up to 45 pounds (20 kg).
Therefore, it provides ample room for any average-sized APBT with extra space to spare for additional padding.
Note: There are additional sizes of the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House available. Therefore, if your American Pit Bull Terrier exceeds the weight capacity of the medium-sized house, you can size up to the large option, suitable for up to 70 pounds (32 kg).
This beautiful dog house features a mineral felt shingle roof, an interior and exterior weatherproof sealant, and plastic, adjustable feet to allow for placement on almost any surface.
The roof’s design allows for water runoff and keeps rainwater away from the house.
The elevated floor allows for air circulation and keeps your American Pit Bull Terrier off of the ground during wet or cold conditions.
If desired, you can purchase the TRIXIE Plastic Dog Door for the medium dog house.
These weather-resistant vinyl door flaps protect against inclement weather and come with all necessary hardware.
Note: When opting for the large dog house, you’ll need the 12.75 x 17.25 inch door flap.
Bottom Line: This durable dog house comes at a reasonable price and includes all of the basics to keep your American Pit Bull Terrier comfortable.
- Easy assembly. The tongue-and-groove design makes assembly a breeze. The pieces snap together with ease.
- Removable floor. The removable panel makes cleaning simple.
- Reasonably priced. Though not the least expensive dog house on this list, the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House comes at an acceptable price considering its construction.
- Heavy. The dog house weighs 41 pounds (19 kg), so you may need assistance moving it around once assembled.
- Materials. The TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House is made of pine wood, so it may be attractive to dogs that enjoy chewing on wood.
Product Specifications (Medium)
|Overall Dimensions||32.5 (H) x 30.5 (W) x 34.75 (D)|
|Interior Dimensions||25 (H) x 24.25 (W) x 26 (D)|
|Entrance Dimensions||15.75 (H) x 12 (W)|
|Product Weight||41 Pounds (19 kg)|
|Maximum Weight Capacity||45 Pounds (20 kg)|
Best Bang For The Buck: Starplast Large Dog Kennel
When you’re on a budget but need a suitable dog house for your American Pit Bull Terrier, this is an excellent choice.
The Starplast Large Dog Kennel is spacious enough to accommodate APBTs up to 29 inches (74 cm) tall and 30 inches (76 cm) long, weighing up to 50 pounds (23 kg).
As such, the dog house is spacious enough to suit the majority of American Pit Bull Terriers.
Its construction consists of UV-stabilized polypropylene plastic, considered one of the safest plastics on the market. It contains no BPA or phthalates.
The dog house offers fade, tear, and warp resistance, and you can use it indoors or outdoors with no issues.
The dog house comes in two available colors, including brown/beige or green.
Bottom Line: For a budget-friendly dog house, the Starplast Large Dog Kennel makes a great choice.
It provides a weatherproof retreat for your dog to relax and includes enough space for additional padding.
- Simple assembly. The dog house comes in six pieces that snap together, requiring no tools.
- Lightweight. Weighing only 22 pounds (10 kg), the dog house is easy to move once assembled.
- Easy cleaning. Wipe down the dog house using a damp cloth and allow it to air dry.
- Plastic construction. Although polypropylene is durable plastic, it’s not chew-proof. With the angles along the side, dogs may find it easy to latch onto.
- No raised flooring. The dog house offers a covered floor space, but the floor isn’t elevated.
Best For Outdoor Dogs: PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House
If you’re looking for an outdoor dog house for your American Pit Bull Terrier, you’ll need one with extra durability and features—and the PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House offers just that and more.
This cabin-style dog house provides a spacious interior, capable of housing an APBT up to 30 inches (76 cm) in height and 29 inches (74 cm) long, weighing up to 66 pounds (30 kg).
With these dimensions, the dog house is suitable for the majority of American Pit Bull Terriers.
Its fir wood construction provides durability and style, and the asphalt roof can withstand most weather conditions, including:
The elevated floor keeps your canine companion warm and dry and protects it from insects and other creepy crawlies.
The open front door is positioned to eliminate uncomfortable drafts but allow for air circulation.
Bottom Line: Outdoor dogs need a strong, comfortable shelter, and the PawHut Wooden Outdoor Dog House makes an ideal space for your furry friend.
- Stylish design. The cabin style and raw fir wood appearance make this dog house aesthetically pleasing. It can turn any dull backyard or patio space into an attractive area within minutes.
- Attached bowl holder. This dog house comes equipped with an attached bowl holder and two bowls so that your APBT can grab a bite to eat or get a drink without traveling very far.
- Food storage compartment. Next to the bowl holder, there’s a hinged storage box where you can store extra dog food. This compartment makes refilling your dog’s food bowls a breeze.
- Assembly issues. The included instructions say to insert screws into the roof. By doing this, you’re ruining the weatherproof construction. You can fix this by applying a pet-safe silicone sealant around each screw (inside and out).
- Heavy. The dog house is rather large and weighs approximately 40 pounds (18 kg), making it difficult to move once assembled.
Best Indoor Dog House: unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table
American Pit Bull Terrier owners looking for an indoor dog house suitable for their pet and their home should consider the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table.
The dimensions of this dog house suit APBTs up to 23 inches (58 cm) in height and 21 inches (53 cm) long. It has a maximum weight capacity of 60 pounds (27 kg).
Although technically a crate, the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table works the same as a dog house.
The main difference is that it’s aesthetically pleasing and features a sliding door.
The steel mesh alloy surrounds the dog shelter, and side reinforcement ensures that it can hold up to any dog’s chewing behavior.
In addition to its durability, this dog house doubles as a side table or nightstand.
The tabletop supports up to 150 pounds (68 kg) of weight, so pet parents can top it with pictures, lamps, or other home decors.
It includes three hooks on the side to hang your canine companion’s leash, collar, or other accessories.
The unique design provides a full view for your furry friend, allowing them to see you as they relax in comfort.
Bottom Line: Indoor dog houses for the American Pit Bull Terrier should be stylish, sturdy, and fit in with your home’s decor — even better if it doubles as furniture.
The unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table checks all of these boxes.
- Sliding door. Instead of the standard swinging door, the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table features a sliding door design. This design makes it more difficult for dogs to open the door on their own (the door is also lockable).
- Included cushion. The included cushion ensures that the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table provides a comfortable space for your pooch to relax.
- Anti-slip footing. The non-slip footing on the bottom of the crate prevents it from sliding around on hard floors, such as tile, wood, vinyl, or laminate.
- Pricey. At a price of over $250 (€146.94), the unipaws Chew-Proof Dog Crate End Table may not be a feasible option for some APBT owners.
- Heavy. The wood construction and alloy steel mesh make this dog house rather heavy, weighing in at around 60 pounds (27 kg).
After considering size, durability, comfort, and cost, the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House makes the most sense for American Pit Bull Terrier owners.
Its spacious interior, durable design, weatherproof construction, and reasonable cost make this the top choice on the list.
Check out the TRIXIE Natura Cottage Dog House on Amazon now!