Large dog breeds require large accessories — and dog beds are no exception.
You needn’t spend a fortune on extra-large to provide your dog with a comfortable sleeping space.
When seeking the ideal dog bed for your big, furry friend, look for beds that provide enough surface area, comfort, and affordability.
The best extra-large dog bed for large dogs is the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed. It offers a large sleeping area and is suitable for most large breeds.
The bed is machine-washable and dryer-friendly, making cleaning a breeze. It’s durable, plush, comfortable, and it comes at a reasonable price point.
There are a few instances when I would recommend alternatives to the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed. Those instances include:
- When you need a dog bed to fit in a crate. In that case, go for the KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe.
- If you’re looking for a raised dog bed or less padding. Opt for the Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed.
- When you need an orthopedic bed for your pooch. Grab the BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed.
In this article, we’ll thoroughly explain what to consider when in the market for an extra-large dog bed for your sizable canine companion.
Then, we’ll look at four different dog beds and rate each on their performance based on size, comfort, and affordability.
Finally, we’ll discuss why the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed is the best choice for most large dog owners.
Things To Consider
As a responsible and loving dog owner, you want to provide your cuddly canine companion with the best of the best — and choosing the right bed for your large dog is a great place to start.
First, consider the following before you commit to a purchase:
I’ll discuss these considerations in detail to help you make an informed decision on which extra-large dog bed is right for your large canine companion.
Extra-Large Dog Bed Sizes
|Dog Bed||Size (Inches)||Score|
|PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed (Jumbo)||44 x 35||9/10|
|KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe (XL)||41 x 27||8/10|
|Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed (XL)||49 x 33||9/10|
|BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed (Large)||40 x 30||8/10|
Winners: PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed, Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed
Large canines require large beds — that’s a given.
Extra-large beds, however, provide additional space for curling up or stretching out. This is precisely why I recommend choosing a size up when buying a dog bed.
In this case, your large dog benefits more from an extra-large sleeping space.
Dog beds that are “just right” don’t always provide enough space for the many stretches our furry friends enjoy throughout the night — and beds that are too small don’t offer nearly enough space or support for your large canine.
So when choosing a dog bed, opt for one that accommodates your dog’s full body size and weight, and then some.
Size your dog for an extra-large dog bed by measuring its length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.
Add 5 inches (12.7 cm) to your dog’s length and look for a bed with a length that meets or exceeds that total.
Next, note the weight of your pooch and ensure that your furry friend doesn’t exceed the maximum weight capacity of the dog bed.
If your dog is too heavy, the filling won’t support its body, rendering the bed essentially useless.
Extra-Large Dog Bed Comfort Levels
|PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed||Polypropylene and suede|
Supports up to 95 pounds
|KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe||Polyester and velvet|
Supports up to 90 pounds
|Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed||Textilene and steel (base)|
Breathable mesh fabric
Supports up to 150 pounds
|BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed||Polyester|
Memory foam filling
Orthopedic foam base
Cotton padded rim
Supports up to 100 pounds
Winners: BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed
As humans, we purchase beds based on how they feel because we want to feel comfortable and get a good night’s rest.
It shouldn’t be any different for your dog. They deserve to sleep in comfort as well.
Not to mention, large dogs are more susceptible to musculoskeletal conditions, such as hip dysplasia.
Because of the increased likelihood of joint disorders, it’s imperative that dog owners provide their large dogs with a sleeping space that takes the stress off of their bones and joints.
Foam beds are ideal, providing dogs with a surface that conforms to their bodies, allowing for restful sleep whether stretched out or curled up.
In addition to comfort in materials, opt for a bed that’s easy to clean.
Allowing your dog to sleep on a bed for months without washing can increase the likelihood of allergen and bacterial buildup — and nobody, not even a dog, can get comfortable when they’re constantly itching or sneezing.
|PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed||$$$||7/10|
|KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe||$||9/10|
|Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed||$$||8/10|
|BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed||$$$||7/10|
Winners: KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe
In addition to adequate size and comfort, you want an extra-large dog bed that’s affordable. Nobody wants to spend an arm and a leg on a dog bed.
Fortunately, you don’t have to if you select one of the dog beds on this list.
With that said, the size of a dog bed does play a role in the overall cost. Large dogs take up more space, therefore, the dog bed must be bigger.
A bigger bed means more fabric and filling, thus increasing the price.
Additionally, the type of fabric and filling material can also drive up the cost.
If you choose a polyester bed with polyester fiberfill, you’ll pay less than if you choose an extra-large dog bed made of suede and filled with solid foam.
For comfort at a reasonable price point, polyester and shredded foam (fiberfill) are acceptable choices.
Best Overall: PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed
This is a fantastic extra-large dog bed at a reasonable price point.
The PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed offers a spacious sleeping area measuring 33.4 x 25.6 inches (84.8 x 65 cm).
It supports up to 95 pounds (43 kg), making it suitable for the majority of large-breed dogs.
In terms of comfort, the polypropylene and suede offer a soft, comfortable sleeping space for your dog.
The cotton fiberfill keeps the bed warm, and the even filling allows it to maintain its original shape.
The raised outer rim acts as a bolster allowing your cuddly canine to rest its head or paws, providing optimal comfort in multiple positions.
Its non-slip base ensures the bed doesn’t slide around on hard surfaces, such as tile or wood floors.
To clean the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed, just toss the entire cushion into your washing machine.
Run a gentle cycle and then transfer the bed to the dryer on the air dry setting.
Bottom Line: The PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed is the epitome of dog beds, providing adequate space and luxurious comfort at an affordable price point.
If you want your dog to get a restful night’s sleep without breaking the bank, then this is an excellent dog bed choice.
- Machine washable. To clean the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed, just toss the entire cushion into your washing machine. Run a gentle cycle and then transfer the bed to the dryer on the air dry setting.
- Affordable price. At less than $100, it’s difficult to beat the price for this comfortable, jumbo-sized dog bed.
- Available in multiple styles. There are twelve different colors to choose from, making it possible to match the bed with your home decor.
- Flimsy bolster. The outer rim is stuffed with cotton fiberfill, not solid foam. Because of this, the rim is quite flimsy.
- Raw seams. Some users found that the dog bed came with raw seams on the outside, which can be a dealbreaker if you have an aggressive chewer.
|Dimensions||44” L x 35” W (112 x 89 cm)|
|Weight Capacity||95 Pounds (43 kg)|
|Outer Material||Polypropylene, Suede|
|Fill Material||Cotton Fiberfill|
Best Crate Dog Bed: KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe
For crate-sleeping dogs, the KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe makes the most sense.
This extra-large dog bed measures 41 inches (104.1 cm) long and 27 inches (68.5 cm) wide. It supports up to 90 pounds (40.8 kg), making it ideal for most large breeds.
The soft, velvet material makes this extra-large dog bed super cozy.
It comes with 4 inches (10.1 cm) of polypropylene fiberfill, providing excellent elasticity and comfort to keep your furry friend feeling warm, secure, and supported.
Its base features an anti-slip and anti-scratch padding. Not only will it not slide on hard floors, but it won’t damage them either.
Bottom Line: Dog crates are notorious for being uncomfortable due to the hard plastic tray.
Fortunately, with the KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe, you can improve the look and feel of your dog’s space, making your canine companion more inclined to seek comfort in his crate or dog house.
- Machine washable. The KSIIA Washable Dog Bed Deluxe is machine washable. Put it into the machine on a delicate cycle, wash, and tumble dry. It retains its shape even after multiple washes.
- Ideal for crates or dog houses. The dog bed fits in crates or dog houses up to 40 (L) x 26 (W) inches (101.6 x 66 cm).
- Multiple colors. You can choose from three different colors to ensure the dog bed blends in with your home design.
- Not recommended for air drying. To ensure the dog bed maintains its shape, air drying isn’t recommended. It’s best to tumble dry on a no-heat setting to ensure the bed becomes fluffy after washing.
- Lumpy. Some users complain that the dog bed is somewhat lumpy due to the shredded filling.
Best Raised Dog Bed: Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed
If you need a raised dog bed for your large canine, then look no further than the Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed.
This dog bed is 49 inches (124.4 cm) long, 33 inches (83.8 cm) wide, and stands at 9 inches (22.8 cm) tall.
It supports a maximum weight of 150 pounds (68 kg). Due to its high weight capacity and surface area, it’s suitable for the majority of large-breed dogs.
The dog bed stands on powder-coated steel legs with four rubber feet to prevent sliding.
The breathable mesh Textilene fabric allows for optimal air circulation and keeps pets cool and comfortable as they relax.
In terms of cleanliness, elevated dog beds tend to stay cleaner than those that lie directly on the ground.
If the material becomes soiled, you can wipe it down with mild detergent and water.
Bottom Line: The Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed gives your canine companion a cool, comfortable space to rest and relax.
If your dog enjoys climbing on sofas or other furniture, the raised bed may give it the impression that it’s sleeping in luxury.
For a raised bed at a reasonable cost, this is an excellent choice.
- Easy assembly. No tools are required to put the bed together. Just snap the steel posts together, attach the padding, and you’re good to go.
- Portability. The Vehoo Cooling Elevated Dog Bed is lightweight and easy to disassemble, making it ideal for those who regularly travel with their pets.
- Multiple colors available. You can order the bed in one of six different colors. Match it with your decor or choose your favorite hue — it’s up to you!
- No padding. The Textilene fabric simply stretches across the steel bars. Although the fabric provides durability, it’s rather thin, so there’s not much in the way of cushioning. However, you can rectify this by adding a pad, blanket, or cushion on top.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed
For aging dogs, those with musculoskeletal conditions, or dogs that prefer a little extra padding, the BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed is the ideal choice.
This large bed provides 40 x 30 inches (101.6 x 76.2 cm) of sleeping space and easily supports up to 100 pounds (45.3 kg).
Featuring quality workmanship, the BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed offers optimal comfort with its soft, quilted polyester cover and cotton-padded rim.
Inside the cover, you’ll find 3.5 inches (8.8 cm) of solid, human-grade orthopedic foam to provide pressure relief for your canine’s joints.
The cotton-padded walls ensure that your dog stays comfortable in a variety of sleeping positions.
Its fully-stuffed rim reduces the likelihood of the bed losing its shape over time.
On the bottom of the bed, there is a built-in anti-slip rubber pad to prevent sliding.
Bottom Line: The BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed provides ample sleeping space for your large-breed canine.
In addition to its spaciousness, the solid foam ensures the bed retains its shape and gives your pet a soft, comfortable, and supportive surface on which to sleep.
- Removable cushion. The heavy-duty zippers allow you to remove the padding for thorough cleaning of the cover.
- Ideal for aging dogs. Its human-grade orthopedic foam provides optimal joint and bone support for aging canines.
- Washable. You can clean the BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed by removing the zipper-enclosed cushion from the cover. Toss the cover into the washing machine and wash on the gentle setting. Allow it to air dry before reinserting the cushion. For intermittent spot cleaning, you can vacuum or wipe down the cover.
- Pricey. The BarksBar Gray Orthopedic Bed is the priciest dog bed on this list. However, it comes with many features, including solid (not shredded) foam.
- Not for diggers. Some dogs have a tendency to “dig” into their sleeping space before lying down. The polyester cover isn’t suited to handle aggressive digging behavior, so if your dog likes to dig into his bedding, this may not be the best choice.
The following features are what make the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed the best choice for large-breed dogs:
- Machine Washable
- Plush, Comfortable Feel
- Suitable for Large Breeds
- Reasonable Cost
Check out the PUPPBUDD Pet Dog Bed on Amazon now!