When you own a large breed of dog, finding the right sized equipment and accessories can be a hassle — suitable dog houses, in particular, seem difficult to find.
Dog houses offer shelter, comfort, while also providing a safe, peaceful environment to seek refuge from stressful situations.
The best extra-large dog houses for large breeds must be big enough, provide comfort and insulation, and not cost an arm and a leg.
The best extra-large dog house for most large breed dogs is the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House.
This dog house is spacious enough for large breeds and supports up to 154-pounds.
It offers triple insulation, removable raised flooring, and comes at a reasonable price point.
There are, however, a few instances where I wouldn’t recommend the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House. Those circumstances include:
- You’re on a strict budget. In that case, opt for the Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel (available on Amazon).
- Your canine is a larger-than-average large breed dog. Opt for the ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House (available on Amazon).
- You need a dog house made exclusively for the outdoors. Select the Gutinneen Insulated Dog House (available on Amazon).
- You’re looking for an eco-friendly, sustainable product. Pick up the Petmate Indigo Dog House.
In this article, we’ll examine several factors dog owners should consider when in the market for an extra-large dog house.
We’ll cover five of the best products available, scoring each based on how they perform according to these factors.
In addition, we’ll explain why the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House makes the best dog house for most large breeds, but we’ll also touch on a few alternatives based on individual circumstances.
Factors To Consider When Buying a Dog House
Knowing what to look for when choosing a dog house ensures that you select a reasonably priced, comfortable, and safe dog house for your canine companion.
Here are the three main factors to consider:
- Safety and Comfort
I’ll explain these factors more in-depth below.
Size of Dog House
|Dog House||Dimensions (Inches)||Max Weight||Score|
|Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House||43 (W) x 29 (D) x 31 (H)||154 pounds||6/10|
|Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel||41 (W) x 38 (D) x 39 (H)||90 pounds||7/10|
|Gutinneen Insulated Dog House||44 (W) x 27 (D) x 29 (H)||150 pounds||7/10|
|Petmate Indigo Dog House||51 (W) x 39 (D) x 30 (H)||125 pounds||9/10|
|ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House||41 (W) x 30 (D) x 32 (H)||200 pounds||9/10|
Winner: Petmate Indigo Dog House, ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House
Dog houses come in various shapes and sizes; one size does not fit all.
When selecting a dog house for your large breed, it’s imperative that you choose the right size to ensure maximum comfort.
A dog house that’s too cramped can make a dog feel confined and uncomfortable, whereas a house that’s too spacious can lead to accidents.
All-in-all, a dog’s house should provide just enough space to stand without hitting its head, turn around without too much trouble, and lie down comfortably — no more, no less.
In addition, you’ll need a dog house that supports the weight of your canine companion. This is especially true for raised dog houses that utilize support rails.
What Size Dog House Do You Need?
You’ll need to measure your dog to determine what size dog house suits your canine.
The width and depth of a dog house should be at least 25 percent bigger than your canine’s length.
Use a measuring tape to measure your dog from nose to tail base.
Multiply the number by 1.25 to get the ideal dog house’s recommended length and width (in inches).
When keeping a dog house outdoors, it must sit in a comfortable, shaded, dry area.
Before purchasing a dog house, measure the desired area for the dog house and compare it to the product dimensions to ensure a good fit.
How Tall Should a Dog House Be?
A dog house should have at least five inches of clearance between the top of your dog’s head and the ceiling.
Measure your dog from the paw base to the crown. Add five inches to determine the ideal height of a dog house.
For example, a 28-inch dog requires a dog house that’s at least 33-inches tall.
Below, we’ve compiled a brief list of the average height ranges of six different large breed dogs, along with their recommended minimum dog house height.
|Dog Breed||Dog Height (Avg)||Recommended Dog House Height|
|Bernese Mountain Dog||23-27.5 inches||28 to 32.5+ inches|
|Boxer||21.5-25 inches||26.5 to 30+ inches|
|Doberman Pinscher||24-28 inches||29 to 33+ inches|
|German Shepherd||22-26 inches||27 to 31+ inches|
|Great Dane||28-32 inches||33 to 37+ inches|
|Rottweiler||22-27 inches||27 to 32+ inches|
Note: The sizes of the dog breeds above are based on breed standards set by the American Kennel Club.
Not all dogs conform to these standards, so it’s important to measure your dog and compare it to the size of the dog house before committing to a purchase, especially if your dog is a mixed breed.
Dog House Safety and Comfort
|Dog House||Comfort and Insulation||Score|
|Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House||Thick insulation|
Wood and plastic
|Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel||Non-insulated interior|
|Gutinneen Insulated Dog House||Thick insulation|
Insulated roof and floor
|Petmate Indigo Dog House||Non-insulated interior|
|ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House||Non-insulated interior|
Wood and plastic
Winners: Gutinneen Insulated Dog House
If you intend to keep the dog house outdoors and want it to protect your furry friend from the elements, then you need an insulated dog house.
Whether you live in a warm or cold climate, insulated dog houses help maintain cooler temperatures in the hot months and warmer temperatures during the cold months.
In addition to insulation, you’ll need a dog house that provides simple access and is easily cleaned.
Keeping a dog house off the ground is one way to help maintain comfortable temperatures and reduce the likelihood of a pest infestation.
However, you’ll also need a dog house that’s waterproof and durable enough to withstand winds.
If you purchase a dog house that doesn’t have insulation, you can order insulation kits or other products on Amazon to make your dog’s house more comfortable.
There are several products I recommend, including:
- Reflective White Foam Insulation – This insulation offers two layers of radiant insulation to protect dogs from cold, moisture, and high heat.
- Dog House Heater Plus – The Dog House Heater Plus offers adjustable temperature settings, is energy efficient, and features a chew-resistant cord.
- Cool Pup Crate Fan – This is perfect for mounting inside your dog’s house during the warmer months. It’s suitable for outdoor use and offers two fan speeds.
Cost of Extra-Large Dog Houses
|Dog House||Price Range||Materials||Score|
|Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House||$$$||Timber and plastic||5/10|
|Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel||$||Plastic||8/10|
|Gutinneen Insulated Dog House||$$||Wood||7/10|
|Petmate Indigo Dog House||$$||Structural foam and plastic||6/10|
|ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House||$$$||Wood||5/10|
Winners: Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Kennel
Dog houses are generally expensive, but the bigger they are, the more they cost.
As such, when seeking out an extra-large dog house, you’re going to pay around $100 or more. Large dog houses require more materials to make, after all.
Wood tends to cost more than other materials, so it makes sense that the ECOFLEX and Pets Imperial dog houses cost more than those made with plastic or foam.
However, despite being cheaper to manufacture, plastic and foam can also be incredibly durable materials that hold up well in the elements.
As such, if you’re looking for a dog house on a budget, plastic, foam, and other less expensive materials are perfectly acceptable.
Best Overall: Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House
A sizable, comfortable dog house at a reasonable price, the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House is the best choice for most large dog owners.
With internal dimensions measuring 39” x 25” x 27” (99 x 63 x 69 cm), it’s suitable for large breed dogs up to 22-inches (56 cm) in height (i.e., female Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Boxers, etc.).
It supports weights of up to 154-pounds (70 kg), thanks to its two strong support rails.
The removable floor and opening roof make this dog house super easy to clean and maintain.
For additional comfort, the floor is raised, allowing for proper air circulation to keep the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Additionally, it keeps your pet off of the ground, ensuring it stays dry and comfortable.
Every panel, including the floor and roof, is insulated. The walls are insulated with timber, styrofoam, and plywood.
The feet of the dog house consist of rot-resistant plastic, and the legs are adjustable, which allows the dog house to stay level on all surfaces.
Bottom Line: We highly recommend the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House for dog owners looking for a high-quality dog house at an affordable price (compared to other extra-large dog houses on the market).
This dog house easily supports most large breed dogs and provides lasting comfort throughout every season.
- Fully insulated. With three-layer insulation on all six sides, this dog house ensures that your furry friend stays comfortable no matter the weather.
- Easy to clean. The removable floors and opening roof make cleaning a breeze. During comfortable weather, you can open the top to allow fresh air to circulate inside.
- Adjustable legs. You needn’t worry about your ground being level. The adjustable legs make it easy to install on even unbalanced surfaces.
- Somewhat small interior. While the dog house is suitable for dogs up to 22-inches in height, many large dog breeds exceed this range.
- Requires assembly. The dog house comes in multiple pieces that require assembly. You may need an extra set of hands to help ensure that everything is tight and secure.
Best Bang For The Buck: Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel
For dog lovers on a budget, the Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel works in a pinch.
The dog house features an extremely spacious interior–41” x 38” x 39” (104 x 96 x 99 cm)–and offers two air vents to allow fresh air circulation.
The Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel is constructed with tough, durable, waterproof plastic, designed to keep your canine safe and dry during precipitation events.
Because it’s made of plastic, it’s easy to wipe down using a pet-safe sanitizing solution.
Assembly is a breeze—just interlock the pieces together.
Although this dog house doesn’t come with insulation, you can modify it by adding foil insulation to the interior to seal the roof and sides.
There’s ample room to add a heater or warming mat to the floor, which is especially important if you intend to use it outdoors during the colder months.
Bottom Line: The Confidence Pet XL Waterproof Plastic Dog Kennel is affordable, functional, and durable, providing a safe, waterproof space for your dog to hang out and relax.
If you’re looking for a dog house that’s inexpensive with no fancy features, then this is a suitable choice.
- Spacious interior. Standing at a height of 39-inches (99 cm), this dog house suits dogs from a height of 34-inches (86 cm) or below and fits most dogs up to 27-inches (68 cm) long. For reference, the average German Shepherd dog is between 22 and 26-inches long (56 to 66 cm).
- Durable. Made of strong plastic, the dog house is designed to stand up to the elements, including wind, rain, and snow. However, it’s imperative to insulate the dog house before using it outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Two air vents. The ventilation openings allow fresh air to circulate within the dog house and prevent air stagnation.
- Non-insulated. Because it’s not insulated, it’s not designed to keep your pet warm during the colder months or cool during the hotter months. The air vents help the air to circulate, but it may not be enough. As such, it’s not suitable for outdoor dogs as-is. It should be modified to protect your dog from the elements.
- Not chew-resistant. Made of plastic, this dog house isn’t chew-proof. As such, if you have a chewer, you may need to modify the house to prevent damage. Some users recommended adding chicken wire with a staple gun to each side of the walls to prevent the dog from damaging the house.
Best For Outdoor Dogs: Gutinneen Insulated Dog House
If you’re the owner of a dog that prefers staying outdoors for long periods, then the Gutinneen Insulated Dog House can provide optimal protection in all weather conditions.
Made of wood and plastic, this dog house is durable and offers acceptable protection against rain, snow, wind, and more.
With insulation on all sides, including the roof, you can guarantee your pet stays comfortable in even the harshest weather.
Roof insulation consists of asphalt, plywood, and styrofoam. The raised, removable floor guarantees safety from moisture and bugs.
To protect your canine companion from wind and blowing rain, the dog house features a PVC door flap that acts as a windshield.
It keeps your pooch dry during precipitation events, allows for fresh air circulation, and protects your dog against frigid breezes.
For cleaning and maintenance, the roof opens up, giving you easy access to the interior. The aluminum door frame deters chewers, reducing the likelihood of damage.
The dimensions are average, suitable for a dog up to 24-inches (61 cm) in height and 29-inches (74 cm) in length.
Bottom Line: For dogs that prefer sleeping outdoors, we highly recommend the Gutinneen Insulated Dog House. It’s the best choice for maintaining your dog’s comfort year-round.
The thick insulated walls, flooring, and roof protect against moisture build-up and uncomfortable temperatures, keeping your dog safe and protected.
- Thick insulation. The three-layer insulation offers protection against extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.
- Opening roof. Access to the interior of the dog house is easy with the opening roof. You can use this for cleaning, maintenance, checking on your pooch, or for extra air circulation on comfortable days.
- Aluminum door frame. Aluminum doesn’t feel good on a dog’s teeth, so they’re less likely to damage the dog house through chewing.
- Heavy. The dog house weighs almost 60-pounds, so you may need help carrying the package into your home. Additionally, you may need assistance with assembly.
- Requires assembly. To assemble the dog house, you’ll need a screwdriver or screw gun. To ensure secure placement, you may need help holding pieces steady as you tighten them with the screwdriver.
Best For Ease of Assembly: Petmate Indigo Dog House
You’ve likely come across igloo-shaped dog houses before—they’re quite popular, and for many reasons.
The domed design of igloo dog houses allows for easy water runoff and prevents the buildup of snow and debris.
The setup of the low, narrow entrance prevents wind from entering the house and keeps heat inside.
With that said, the Petmate Indigo Dog House is ideal for warm or cold climates.
It’s made of heavy-duty foam and plastic, protecting your pet from wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail, and hot or cold temperatures.
The roof vent provides good air circulation to prevent stagnation.
Perhaps the best part of this dog house is the ease of assembly. It’s not too heavy, and the top simply snaps to the base with plastic latches.
The dimensions of the Jumbo Size are 51” x 39” x 30” (130 x 99 x 76) and it’s suitable for dogs up to 125-pounds (57 kg).
It’s spacious enough to add a dog bed, blankets, or other padding, and there are drainage holes at the bottom to keep the floor dry in extreme conditions.
Additionally, the moat-like edges keep water from coming inside.
Bottom Line: When you’re short on time and need a dog house that’s easy to assemble, yet durable, then the Petmate Indigo Dog House is the ideal solution.
It’s sturdy enough to protect your dog from the elements, and you don’t have to spend hours on assembly.
- Easy to assemble. Assembly requires no tools—just snap the top to the base, ensuring that the plastic latches connect.
- Dome shape. The rounded dome shape prevents water, snow, and debris from accumulating on top, keeping your pet safe and comfortable.
- Raised floor. The floor is slightly raised off of the ground, allowing air circulation and preventing your pet from getting too cold.
- Drainage holes. If water does happen to make it inside after your wet pooch climbs in, the drainage holes help keep everything nice and dry.
- Not aesthetically pleasing. These dog houses don’t look as good as some of the others on this list, but they’re functional.
- No door covering. There is no door flap to protect your dog from wind or blowing rain. However, because the entrance sits low to the ground, it provides at least some protection.
Best Warranty: ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House
The ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House consists of eco-friendly, durable, non-toxic, and non-absorbent material.
Because it doesn’t hold on to moisture, you needn’t worry about your furry friend becoming wet and cold in the rain or snow.
Due to its large size, the dog house is suitable for dogs up to 27-inches (69 cm) tall and 28-inches (71 cm) long.
It can accommodate canines up to 200-pounds (91 kg). Needless to say, this is one of the most spacious dog houses on this list.
You don’t need any tools to put the house together, and the assembly process is quick and easy.
The best part about the ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House is that it comes with a 10-year limited manufacturer warranty.
The company guarantees that its products won’t splinter or stain, so if you find that yours does, you should have no trouble returning it.
According to reviews, ECOFLEX offers superb customer support as well.
Bottom Line: If you’re looking for a safe, comfortable dog house that’s backed by a long-term warranty, then pick up the ECOFLEX Extra Large Lodge Style Dog House.
Not only does the dog house keep your dog safe and comfortable, but the company stands behind its product, offering a 10-year warranty on deterioration and defects.
- 10-year limited warranty. ECOFLEX’s warranty lasts for 10 years and covers staining, splintering, defects, and deterioration.
- Excellent customer service. The company has a highly-rated customer service department.
- Suitable for up to 200 pounds. This spacious dog house is suitable for most large breed dogs.
- Can be painted. The ECOFLEX material can be painted easily, allowing you to match the dog house to your current home’s exterior.
- No door flap. Unfortunately, the dog house doesn’t come with an included door flap to protect it from wind and rain. Instead, you’ll have to purchase it separately.
- Non-insulated. The dog house does not come with insulation, so if you’re using it outdoors, you should modify it using insulation foil or panels.
Once you consider size, comfort, and cost, the Pets Imperial Norfolk XL Insulated Wooden Dog House comes out on top for most dog owners.
Compared to the other dog houses mentioned in this article, the Pets Imperial brand dog house makes the most sense for large-breed dog owners, thanks to its many features.